Thursday, December 2, 2010

COCO Dance Festival in Port of Spain, Trinidad

Just hours off the plane and I was swept up into a community dance festival hosted by COCO, the Contemporary Choreographers' Collective. This portion of the program was called "inter-space" as my piece, a remixed version of "Adelaide Ocean Lullaby/The Mother Project", activated the space from Alice Yard on Roberts Street to Bohemia on Murray Street. When the music went out on the radio, Sonja Dumas, the COCO coordinator, kindly looked up to me and said, "You'll have to do it without music." Of course, impromptu, crowd participation is always a part of the JOYISM! process, so I was happy to journey with the dance and the people. Enjoy this short movie I made with highlights from the COCO festival street dance processional.




~~~~
Stay tuned to the JOYISM! blog and be a part of my dance journeys in Trinidad. Subscribe to the blog, join JOYISM!'s mailing list, "like" JOYISM! on facebook--stay connected to the dance!

Contribute! Make a donation to JOYISM!'s Trinidad dance residency at any time. Your support is always appreciated and is strengthening my ability to create dance and peaceful exchanges with communities around the world. Find out more about my program in Trinidad at www.dancejoyism.com.

1 comment:

  1. I Love This! You're like a freakin black tornado, an artistic tsunami!! You even got the dogs participating!! - Mabinty

    ReplyDelete