Thursday, August 30, 2007

"Is that there dance you doing?" and other things I hear while dancing in public space


OSA 63, Tuesday, June 19: Experimenting with some sunset leaps at my favorite movement playground, Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, Washington, DC


What type of dance is that?

Is that supposed to be some sort of exercise or something?

Are you doing Tai Chi?

I know you not on crack! See other people might think you on drugs or something, but I know you doing that dance...that moder-ryn dance!


OSA 88, Saturday, July 14: Moving my hips in tune with the Atlantic Ocean, Ft. Lauderdale Beach, Florida, Sunrise

Are you homeless?

Can you do that in my house?

I used to dance like that!

Why you don't put a cup out here and collect some money!

Can I take your picture?

Is that balle-ray or something?


Pre-OSA, April 14, 2007, doing Cosmic Booty Roll with sisters at a house party

How old are you?

Do you just do this everyday?

How do you make money?

What your boyfriend say about all this dancing?

Can I get some of your water?

Where are you from?


OSA 31, Friday, May 18: Dancing "Funky African" at the Potter's House artists sharing, drummers, Takada and Colivia

Is that African dance?

You African? (a question, not an affirmation)

Was you the one dancing down at the Malcolm X Park...yeah I seen't y'all...Y'all sure can dance!

You go to that dancing school up there?

Can you teach me to do that?

How long you gonna be dancing out here?

I see you girl...you working it...y'all see her working it!


Pre-OSA, Feburary 11, 2007, Activating stiff space while dancing beside a seated crowd as Elegua, an all-female Afro-Venezuelan ensemble, sings

Go on! Don't never give up...DO IT! DO IT!!!

Look, honey...she's dancing?

So can I dance with you?

1 comment: